Monday 21 September 2009

My Grandad Early years

My Grandad who was my role model in life

My Grandad as I called him was named Cedric Dixon a very powerful man who had learnt so much in his life and seemed very brave. He had very strong opinions on many topics ranging from engineering to science and art. He was a tool setter by trade and apparently a very skillful man with excellent inventive abilities that allowed him to create a faster methods in the production line. He spent some of his life also in the RAF after the war working on planes. Cedric used to talk allot about how he didn't like to participate in sports and would hide away from it. He tried to teach me that with any kind of sport it wasn't the winning that was important which I didn't really take in because I wanted to feel like everyone else and not a weak person yet I later discovered in life that there will always be someone better in anything which was another one of his words of wisdom and it really was so true. I remember on one occasion I asked him when would the world end and he said when we die. I asked him what was the most dangerous animal on this planet and he said us humans are. I was always asking those kind of questions to him. Through his life with me he shown me many things and tried to open my mind to lots of mental stimulating pursuits. He introduced me to snooker, fishing, music (organ), bowling, balsa air craft flying and my best of all of those was drawing. I would sit with him and request him to draw me all manner of things, I still remember his technique for drawing which seemed quite technical to the dynamics of mass and proportions which because was so tight seemed to really put him to the test. The greatest of memory's was that he would build me things and I had a fascination with rope slide things. So he created a slopped rope with some kind of design that worked in the garden. Gardening was another one of his and my past times and I would love to venture into the green house to sniff up the scents of the plants especially after it had be watered with the hose pipe. My grandad had smoked all through his life and this was something he had to voice about and would walk past teenage girls and would try and tell them not to smoke which was embarrassing for me but I really respected that he had the strength to speak up for what he believed. My Grandad died when I was aged 16 I think and it hit me very hard and sudden. It was the first death of a family member I had ever experienced and I would cry about that event as a child even before it was to happen. My grandad helped me to find my art and once shown me some brandy glasses of various colours that he had collected this was where my mind blew in just through the simple colour vast worlds exploded and my imagination needed nothing but to feast upon the pure sublime coloured glass. He also loved animals and even built is own Avery for different types of birds and at one point owned his own pet shop which served him well for a good few years. I may talk more about that later on. Ill find a picture and put one here sometime in the future of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment