Monday 21 September 2009

Educations and subject learning aged 10

Subjects & Learning

ART

Art was always considered a playful activity which was looked upon as a playful thing to do. I actually could not connect with the activities that would be considered creative such as opening up pots of coloured liquid to using fingers to produce formless images just seemed a waste of energy and thought. All the other activities were even more tedious and boring and I would find myself just making a mess with spending countless hours cutting out shapes of paper and using glue to produce ugly simple things that actually back then put me off the arty farty craft rubbish. I also found that art and crafts were more aimed at the gals. Also the methods of creating were very technical and about precision and I found that again teadious and mundain and almost like using an etch a sketch.

The evil subjects

Well Maths was an especially vile subject mainly due to the fact that maths were not something I could actually physically see and I would have to picture each particular number in my minds eye and morph each calculation through imagination. The first thing I actually did to become better at maths was to look at the number 10 and developed a visual balancing thing so 5/5 4/6 3/7 2/8 1/9 and then I had to visually remember all calculations visually in mind. So in a way I had to visually remember every calculation mentally in my mind and still do to this day. The times table was almost impossible and I just didn't want to memorize every single calculation. As I said earlier in my writings that I enjoyed looking at maths in a visual way so through diagrams and charts etc and this method for me helped me to devise my own mental methods.

English was not as bad as maths but the rules to this form of communication presented me with some major issues and spelling certain words seemed awkward. I hated the english language because it seemed to want to go against logic and I spent years developing my own method for this through spelling things through how they sounded. Now days the sounds of words is used more but back when I was younger it was just the alphabet that we would have to focus on and the telephonics. I would also have to rember the sounds by connecting them to visual objects to S would be snake, A for apple and so on. I guess thats why I am good at creating logo's because I can turn words into pictures really easy and I also use a symbolic communication messaging system.

Science was actually my prefered subject due to involving visual diagrams and practicle involvment. I loved reading books with scientific content and I loved to study how things worked and what made them tick. I learnt and took a great interest in many various scientific subjects from the functions of earth to geology and especially loved looking at pictures of precious jewels. It was the visual eliments of science that caught my eye and I loved looking at the vast amount of exciting forms. I actually consider art to be more a science than just a creative form of expression. I have actually fused together my own scientific technical knowledge and embedded it into creative proccess's. I also like to play Frankenstien with art and believe that it is a way to shape and create completely unique and almost magical things that reach far beyond the boundaries of the physical. Unfortunatley science itself became a boring subject later on due to the fact that all things we learnt were I feel set towards becoming an industrial researcher and I also think that science is a subject that doesn't like thinking out of the box.

I will talk about the other subjects later on in my life as it was only the basics studies at around the age of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment