Monday 21 September 2009

Council Estates

Council Estates

Well I grew up on a council estate like I've already mentioned and for me they were like living in concentration camps and labyrinths of dark industrial architecture. At that time I was kind of semi conscious of the repetitive depths of the lives of the working class with the strait forward rituals of peoples routines. For anyone who as read the book fungus the bogey man that is the way I see council estates even today. Not that it was all doom and gloom though as the sun still would shine down on the estate and the ice cream van would makes its pied piper music that got all the estate flocking out to buy the usual ice cream with a flake in the top. For some reason I never really grasped how it all worked and even today I find the ways of man to be dire and dark. I feel that there is a system in place that conditions the working class within a chain of programs that cause's humans to conform to an existence that is of chambers and connections in order to serve the sensual and instinctual needs of power, domination and other instinctual needs. For some reason I have never shown any interest in such pursuits of growing up into such pockets of containment and into levels of hierarchy which is evident in the working class kingdoms.

Music was the greatest media in the 80s to show an influence on the people around me and the main stream of radio broadcasting was at an all high which would be something that erupted at the weekends when men would go out and wash there cars. Dis function was very apparent to me within council estates and repression was very high. Even to this day there is that dis function within the psychological culture of the council estate people in which many odd behaviours are often witnessed by myself which makes me very cautious of the people around me due to the fact that I find trust an issue. People on council estates are that repressed that they seem to want to connect with each other and not in any direct way but through competition, rumour, oberservation, rubber necking and many more subtile but infuration ways that make me cringe. It is in many ways as if each as each other pinned down and I am most often appaled to witness how humans delight in seeing others in the local community fall. What makes me laugh today though is how new estates that are more modern have been built that people feel are above the council estate yet this is a clever illusion mainly because of the way in which people live. There are small differences from the commuter village to the council estate and that is with the obvious with the cosmetic looks of the areas but there are similarities in how people behave and with there robotic rituals of an ever repitition of routine which I find imprisions and represses the lives of those who live in such a way. Through out my life I have witnessed that the whole diverse level off modern culture within the working class enviroments to be very synthetic in form and mundain due to the lack of creativity.

The most traumatic times in my childhood was in how I had to mix with people that seemed to show lifes of kaos and immaturity due to the disfunctions of behaviours. My mother used to have some friends who lived near to us. They were called Gary and Sue and I have very vague memory's about each of them apart from the bloke seeming very alpha male in a way of trying to show strength through having very little. Well anyway we got a call one night and we all had to journey out to find that Gary person in the car. I heard from my mother that he had slashed his wrists and we were going out to a certain place to go and look for him because Sue was worried. The experience was very koatic and disturbing to me because I could imagine awful things that hadn't actually happened and was very nervous as to going near this person whom seemed out of control. I don't know what actually happened afterwards but we got home and it was raw bloody night of panic and dispare hence why I find most alpha males to be slightly masking a frightening animal like mental state.

No comments:

Post a Comment